Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, February 1, 2008

SET APART AS HOLY. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture
“Your brother, Aaron, and his sons, Nadab, Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar, will be set apart from the common people. They will be my priests and will minister to me. Make special clothing for Aaron to show his separation to God—beautiful garments that will lend dignity to his work.”
Exodus 28:1-2

Observation
Moses was instructed to build a medallion out of gold with the inscription, “SET APART AS HOLY TO THE LORD” (v. 36-38). This medallion was attached to the front of Aaron’s turban. God was very intentional to give the people a visual illustration of what being a priest, a minister, is all about. The clothing of the priests was an illustrated sermon to the common people and a constant reminder to the minister about God’s will—holiness for His servants. Holiness does not mean perfection. It means separation for an exclusive lifestyle of service and ministry. The garments communicated service and dignity at the same time. Ministering to God is a privilege that requires a high sense of separation from what is common. As the precious is removed from the ordinary, priests are set apart from what is common, and they are placed in a place of honor and unique intimacy with God.

Application
The New Covenant anoints each member of the body of Christ as a kingdom of priests. God’s will is for each follower of Christ to be a minister before Him, to be set apart for service, to have an exclusive relationship with God, to have a lifestyle of holiness. This year I have embraced three core values to base my life and ministry: humility, honesty, and holiness. When I embrace holiness, there’s a strong sense of purpose in my life and a unique desire to embrace willingly a lifestyle where I’m set apart form the ordinary. Being set apart as holy implies first and foremost, to be in God’s presence to minister directly to Him. I come to the presence of the Lord with full access to the inner court, to the Holy of Holies, to the very heart of God. In that place, I minister to Him, I honor Him, I present myself as a living sacrifice, I sing songs to Him, and I surrender to Him. I’m set apart from this world. God loves me and He has called me, handpicked me, and anointed me, to be set apart for His service. I’m loved by my Father! For that reason, I will let my life be an example of what Holiness is supposed to be. Just like Aaron wore garments and medallions that communicated holiness to the people, I will live a life that communicates to others that I’m not from this world and that I belong to Jesus and His kingdom. That when people see me, they will see in my forehead the inscription “Set apart as holy to the Lord.”

Prayer
Lord Jesus, thank you for calling me and each one of my brothers and sisters to be set apart as holy to You. Let us embrace that privilege with boldness and passion. Let every word we speak and everything we do communicate that we are holy before you. Reveal me in your grace the areas in my life where I continue engaging in common things, not in holy things. Help me to loose interest in those things that are not holy, and guide me into a lifestyle where I’m set apart for your service. Reveal to me more depth about holiness and transform me into a priest that is holy before you. Let me come daily as your minister, to present myself as a living sacrifice before you, and to bless your heart with my entire life. I’m so thankful for the way you love me! Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I've been studying recently for a devotional this coming Sunday: thanks for the insights. Being set apart as holy is a calling of every follower of Jesus Christ.