Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Monday, February 11, 2008

ENCOURAGEMENT IN THE FACE OF FEAR. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision and told him, “Don’t be afraid! Speak out! Don’t be silent! For I am with you, and no one will harm you because many people here in this city belong to me.” So Paul stayed there for the next year an a half, teaching the word of God.
Acts 18:9-11

Observation:
Paul had endured lots of dangerous situations in all the cities he had visited. At this point in his ministry, he is in Corinth facing similar opposition. The leaders of the Jews are jealous and plot against his life. Paul’s experience and dependence in the Holy Spirit causes him to seek God about His will for him in Corinth. Paul knows that the city is dangerous and the he could die there. Paul is afraid and thinks about laying low, maybe stay quiet for a little while. But he seeks the Lord for guidance. And the Holy Spirit is faithful, and responds in a vision. His words are encouraging and clear. God addresses exactly what Paul needed to hear: assurance of protection that will quench his fears, guidance to do God’s will, and the purpose to stay firm in the assignment, which was the many people that needed to be touched with the Gospel in that city. So Paul stayed there!

Application:
I love the way the Holy Spirit guide us in spite of our fears and limitations. Lately I’ve been exposed to circumstances where certain fears have grown in my heart. On Saturday night, the enemy tried to fuel those fears with disturbing dreams where my marriage and my children where under attack. My own life was being threatened by a spirit of destruction and failure. For a moment I felt really scared and saddened. I wanted to stay quiet! For some reason, the enemy wanted to intimidate me with discouragement and worries. Thank God my wife and friends prayed for me and I was able to speak out the good news of Gods power. This passage confirms what God wants to do in our lives when we feel afraid and disturbed. God is with us and He will not allow harm to come to me or my loved ones because there are many people in our community that need to hear the message. We will not falter, we will not retreat, and we will not give room to the enemy’s lies. We will continue advancing God’s kingdom in Honolulu until every person in the city has a clear opportunity to hear the Gospel and to accept the love of Christ.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, thank you so much for your encouragement and protection in my life and in my family. Thank you for dissipating my fears with the power of your presence. Give me the words that will speak to the hearts of your people! I will not be silent in my assignment to proclaim your good works. I pray that the enemy will be ashamed in his plan to destroy me. Thank you for being faithful to me, to put a hedge around me, and for empowering me to do your will. Use my life, my family, and my ministry, to proclaim the truth to every single person in this city. Let us shine with the power of the resurrection and with the might of your precious love. Use us to bring people closer to you! Amen.

No comments: