Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, February 29, 2008

FAITH OVER FEAR. By Ken Primeau

Scripture
And leaving the multitude, they took Him along with them, just as He was, in the boat; and other boats were with Him. And there arose a fierce gale of wind and the waves were breaking over the boat so much that the boat was already filling up.
And He Himself was in the stern asleep on the cushion; and they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”
And being aroused, He rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Hush, be still.” And the wind died down and it became perfectly calm.
And He said to them, “Why are you so timid? How is it that you have no faith?”
Mark 4:36-40

Observation
Jesus’ statement to the disciples is pretty blunt. “How is it that you have no faith?” Faced with a storm at sea, the disciples panic. Their fear takes over and they worry that they are going to die. Jesus questions why they live in fear? Why don’t they live out of the boldness that God offers? They simply need to have a little faith!
Fear can cripple us. It can take people with good hearts and good intentions and can cripple them so that they are ineffective. Jesus teaches us to live by faith and not by sight. We KNOW that God is powerful. We KNOW that He loves us. We need to trust Him when our fears creep up on us and KNOW that He can overcome.

Application
Fear is an enemy of our relationship with God. God calls us to live by faith and not by sight. Sometimes this involves facing our fears while KNOWING that He will overcome. If I want to live only to the extent that I am capable of then I will shy away from fearful situations and live a life of mediocrity. But if I want to live an extraordinary life for Jesus, even though it is difficult to do, I must face my fears and trust Him so that he will exceed my capabilities and do amazing things.

Prayer
“Lord, help me to have the faith necessary to live in trust of you. Sometimes I am afraid to take a step for fear that I might fall. Help me to walk boldly for you. I pray that I would truly surrender my life to you and that you would use my as you please. IJNA.”

No comments: