Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

FOLLOW THE CLOUD. By Cory Oliveros

Scripture:
36 Now whenever the cloud lifted from the Tabernacle, the people of Israel would set out on their journey, following it. 37 But if the cloud did not rise, they remained where they were until it lifted. 38 The cloud of the Lord hovered over the Tabernacle during the day, and at night fire glowed inside the cloud so the whole family of Israel could see it. This continued throughout all their journeys.
Exodus 40:36-38

Observation:
The Lord had very specific instructions when it came to the set up of the Tabernacle. And although these things were important, I think that the most important instruction was to watch for the cloud. It was the Glory of the Lord and His presence that made this sanctuary holy. Even though the other physical furnishings were nice and the priestly clothes were extravagant, those things would serve no purpose unless His Glory filled the tent. So as soon as God moved, the people knew that it was time to pack it up and follow. And although it wasn’t a permanent building with concrete and drywall, it still sounded like a pretty strenuous task to break everything down and set up again, who knows maybe 10-20 feet away. But the point was to follow and be exactly in the place where He was covering, this was vital to their survival on this journey.

Application:
I can imagine myself complaining about the constant movement and the tedious duties of packing up and setting up. I could imagine the procrastination and saying, “ah the cloud will be there tomorrow, no worry”. I can imagine this because I am like that now in my walk. I wonder why my family and I feel so lost. It’s because God has moved and I’m either busy worrying about something, or procrastinating the move. I heard Pastor Wayne preach about balance once. Basically he mentioned that God will move us through different seasons to make sure our relationships and tasks are balanced. Sometimes He’ll have us focus on our careers, other times He’ll ask us to take a break from everything and really tend to the family. Then He will move us to do different things in ministry. The key is to follow the cloud. That’s how I see this scripture in my personal life.

It’s also very similar for our church family. I, as the worship leader, need to follow where the Lord is leading our Pastor. I believe that the cloud is still an obvious and visible sign in our church today, but visible in different ways. Especially when we look at the spiritual growth in people (through their worship, service, and relationships). And I know as the church leadership, we all need to keep our eyes on His Glory and move together when He moves. It’s important that I encourage my team to be alert and stay on their toes (be in the Word). Once we settle in our own ways, it’ll be hard to pack up and move with God. I realize that may seem tiring and inconvenient, but what is worse is not being in the presence of the Lord. It’s like having a fridge with no food, not even ice. Useless.

It’s time to re-adjust my eyes on the Lord. And really look to where the cloud is now. In my personal relationship with Him, in my marriage, with my kids, in my tentmaking, in ministry, with friends, in finances. I can no longer make money or my personal dreams “my cloud”. Because things will only be cloudy and I’ll be living on a cloud. Ok anyway.

Prayer:
Lord, You are glorious. You see exactly where I am. And I know sometimes You see me walking away from You. I really deserve to be dead right now, but you continue to save me. I owe You so much, but all You want is my love. All You want is for me to follow You. That’s hard sometimes because I’m selfish. Sometimes if Your plans don’t benefit me, I pout. I’m sorry Lord. Take that from my heart. Give me new heart with unselfish love. Pleasing myself and others doesn’t work anymore. It only leads to feeling rejected. Lord, fill my body, my temple with the cloud of Your Glory as I seek You. Help me to understand that being in Your presence is not always an easy-going thing but yet it’s the most fulfilling. My spirit and soul knows this Lord, but my flesh will continue to desire other things to feed it. Holy Spirit, fall in this place that fleshly desires be taken over by the want for more of Your presence and peace. In Jesus’ holy and mighty name. Amen.

No comments: