Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, February 8, 2008

MY BACK IS WATCHED. By Renee Takahashi

Scripture:
Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear?
Acts 15: 10

Observation:
There was a discussion amongst the Jews about the Gentiles having to be circumcised and to obey the law of Moses. The statement came from the Pharisees. After thinking about this statement, Peter got up to say that God accepted the Gentiles by giving them the Holy Spirit and made no distinction between the Jews and Gentiles. And then he asked the question in verse 10.

Application:
It is a great honor to disciple people. However, we must be very careful not to expect things of them that we cannot do ourselves. We must make sure that our words match our actions, for more than what we tell them, it is our actions that they will follow. There is a Japanese proverb that says: children grow by watching the backs of their parents. This means that parents lead by example. More than what the parents say to the children, the children mature as they watch their parents when the parents may think no one is looking. In other words, does the parent have integrity? Do their actions before an audience remain consistent when there is no audience. How will I be different today because of what I have just read? I will ask the Lord to reveal in me the areas of inconsistency in my life and find accountability to align myself.

Prayer:
Father God, thank you for this heart check this morning You are a God that leads by perfect example. We have a great “back” to watch. You are the same yesterday, today as you will be tomorrow. Father, please show me the areas of my life that I am inconsistent. Things that I ask of those I disciple, especially the children who see me day in and out, that I am not discipline to do for myself. Reveal to me any area of my heart that needs to be recalibrated to your truth, attitude, action. Thank you Father that you are the greatest discipler and that you do not leave me alone to fend for myself. You are always present! In the mighty and matchless name of your son I pray… amen

No comments: