Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

PURSUING A HUMBLE HEART. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
But God removed Saul and replaced him with David, a man about whom God said, “I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do.” And it is one of King David’s descendants, Jesus, who is God’s promised Savior of Israel!
Acts 13:22-23

Observation:
King Saul made many mistakes and he was dismissed and replaced quickly. King David also made many mistakes in his lifetime. However, there’s something different about David. No one else in the Bible is called “a man after God’s heart.” David could be remembered as a vile sinner. He committed adultery, murdered, lied, betrayed his nation, judged poorly, and wasn’t able to manage his home. Almost every time we read abut David, he was doing something wrong, yet God commended his heart. How can we explain this? The main thing is that with every mistake, David found repentance, and learned from his mistakes. He was the king, yet he was able to be humble and teachable. He listened to both critics and enemies. But most of all, he heeded the prophets of the Lord. His humble, repentant, and teachable heart caused God to classify him as Israel’s finest leader. And the best part of all, his heart was the perfect DNA where Jesus is incarnated to bring salvation to His people.

Application:
David gives me so much hope! Just like him, I have committed gross sins. Many times my heart wanders far away from God’s perfect ways and I think I will never be able to undo my mistakes. King David teaches me that humility always pays off... big time! When I’m humble, I can recognize that I’m wrong. As a leader, I don’t know everything, but I’m willing to learn more and more. Refreshing to know that I don’t have to know it all! I can humble myself, ask for forgiveness, repent, and walk away from sin. Every time I fall I can learn valuable lessons that will help me to stay firm when similar situations arrive. I don’t have to be perfect, but I must be humble. Humility is the one trait that causes God to look at us in a more redemptive way. He is attracted to humble people and He wants to use them to spread the DNA that brings the power of salvation in Jesus.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, what a wonderful reminder every year to read this passage on my B-Day. I was born 35 years ago with the purpose to become a man after your own heart. My race has written “Humility” at the finish line. Every year that passes by will be a step closer to become more like you: humble, teachable, and simple. You know the cry of my heart: to be used by you to bring people closer to your throne. I want to have the DNA that ushers in the power of salvation. Please help me to be humble, to recognize my faults, my compulsions, my imperfections, and my sin. Help me to trust your love and grace! Let me seek you daily in repentance, with a humble heart, recognizing that I don’t deserve anything from you, and that every blessing comes because you have favor over me! I’m in the middle of my productive life, and I want to spent the next 35 years becoming a men after your own heart. Let me pass this DNA of humility to my ministry, to my family, to my friends, and to everyone that follows me as a leader. Amen!

No comments: