Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, March 28, 2008

TESTS OF OBEDIENCE. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
I did this to test Israel--to see whether or not they would obey the Lord as their ancestors did. That is why the Lord did not quickly drive the nations out or allow Joshua to conquer them all.
Judges 2:22-23

Observation:
In the process of conquering the Promised Land, Joshua was able to drive the inhabitants little by little. However, God kept some of the areas unconquered in order to test Israel’s obedience. God in His infinite wisdom, allowed temptation to come around His people. God knows that without tests of obedience His people may become more religious, but cannot grow in relationship with Him. By keeping the temptations of other nations around, Israel would realize that they cannot follow their covenant with God on their own, and that they would need God’s intervention through a redeemer. God wants to develop people that are obedient, an the only way to develop obedience, is to overcome temptations.

Application:
Many times I wonder why God doesn’t remove all the temptations around us. It would be easier to stay pure without so much moral pollution around. It will be easier to obey without temptations. But my obedience to God means more when the choice of disobeying Him is clear and present. As a loving Heavenly Father, God is proud of His children when they have the opportunity to disobey, and yet, they choose to obey. God allows temptation in our lives to reveal how sincere our desire to obey His ways really is. That’s why is so important to pass the test of obedience when we are tempted. The more we chose to obey, the more sincere our desire for Him will be. We shouldn’t be mad at God because of unconquered areas in our lives. We should use these areas to develop obedience, dependence and devotion to God.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for reminding me about the purpose of the temptations. Even though I have prayed to remove all temptations form my life, I understand that you may choose to keep some areas unconquered as tests of obedience. Help me to chose your ways always and to pass the tests as they come. Let me overcome my temptations. Let me mature in obedience and let me honor you as I chose your ways above my ways. I love you Lord. Amen.

No comments: