Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

PHONY TREE. By Renee Takahashi.

Scripture:
On the day following, when they had come away from Bethany, He was hungry.
And seeing in the distance a fig tree with leaves, He went to see if he could find any fruit on it. But when He came up to it, He found nothing but leaves, for the fig season had not yet come.
Mark 11:12-13

Observation:
This fig tree must have been a welcomed sight for Jesus who was hungry. It must have had a pretty impressive appearance because Jesus saw it even from a distance. Jesus approached it only to find that it was all show no go. There wasn’t a single fig on it. A phony.

Application:
I know my own anticipation approaching the season of one of my favorite fruit trees, the mango. As I drive around, my eyes immediately check out the mango trees as it progresses through the season. I take a mental snapshot of the tree and its flowers and anticipate how much fruit it would have. What a disappointment it would be if that tree didn’t bear a single fruit. What about me? Am I a phony tree? Am I walking the talk? Am I bearing fruit or just the appearance of having fruit? How many times has a hungry person come to me only to find that I was nothing but leaves? How many times has a hungry person come and not be fed the sweet fruit of the good news?
How will I be different today because of what I have just read?
Like our message this past Sunday… I will steward the little I know well and apply it in every area of my life.

Prayer:
Lord God, thank you for your words of encouragement and of conviction. Help me to be a tree that bears your fruit. To be a tree that stewards your goodness and love. A tree that embraces and shares your truth. A tree that doesn’t disappoint the hungry. Father, prune me as you deem necessary. I love you.

No comments: