Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, March 28, 2008

FOLLOW THE LEADER. By Renee Takahashi.

Scripture:
Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
1 Cor 11: 1

Observation:
Because the Corinthians were new Christians, they needed an example of what living as a Christian meant. Since they trusted Paul, who brought the good news to them, he told them to follow him. But he didn’t tell them just to follow him because he had it all together, he qualified that by saying as he followed the example of Christ. When I was young, I loved playing follow the leader. I loved being a follower enjoying the crazy things my friends thought of doing and trying to do it exactly the way the person in front of me did it, not my interpretation of it, so the person behind me would have the fun that the leader wanted us to. I also loved being the leader thinking up those crazy things to do. As I leader I felt responsible to make it creative and fun so my friends would continue to follow and play, but at the same time think of things we all could do so no one felt left out. This verse reminds me of that game we played. I want to make sure that I am following the Lord exactly as He is, not my interpretation of what He is doing. I can only ask people to follow me if I am following the example of Christ.

Application:
Whether we are intentionally doing it or not, as Christ followers we share the gospel by the way we live. I am not perfect, but even in my imperfection, I can glorify God. In the way I handle my blunders, I can lead people to Christ. The main thing for me to be an example to others that is worthy of them following is that I keep my eyes fixed on Jesus so I am following His example. This scripture along with many others, keep convicting me to be more diligent in doing my devos not for the sake of checking it off as a task, but to really know Him. The more I know Him, the more I can be like Him. The more I will decrease so He can increase in my life. That He would have His way with me.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, thank you for the conviction in my heart to go deeper into your words and to know you more, so that I can follow your example. Forgive me for sometimes reading your word as a task and not the joy and discipline for which it is intended. Thank you for leaving us with your word of truth and life. Your manual for life. I repent for leaning on my own understanding in situations that truly call for me to lead by your example. I love you Jesus.

No comments: