Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

MY DELIGHT. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
Trust in the Lord and do good. then you will live safely in the land and prosper. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires.
Psalm 37:4-5

Observation:
In every single B-Day card, Christmas card, or any other written greeting my mom sends me, she manages a way to bless me with this passage, especially the phrase on God giving me the desires of my heart. This amazing blessing is conditional and depends on the way I delight in the Lord. In the context, King David encourages us to stop looking with envy at what evil people have accomplished in their lives. God;s justice will come upon them sooner or later. God is faithful with those who practice good, so we need to keep our trust in God and always do what is good. Taking delight in God has to do with enjoying the lifestyle of the worshipper of the Almighty. We may not have the fame and fortune that others easily acquire with their ungodliness and sometimes it may seem that they are enjoying life more than us. However, since my delight is in the Lord, I can trust him that as I live in obedience, my sacrifices will be rewarded in abundant ways.

Application:
Many times I catch myself delighting in many things but in the Lord. My delight is at the end of the day when I can get home and be with my family, put the kids to bed, and watch a cool movie with my wife. Very often I find myself doing the “good things” out of obligation. And yes, sometimes I envy those who live in constant defiance of God’s ways and prosper in this world. This morning I sense the Holy Spirit calling me to delight in the presence of God, to find my joy in doing what is right, and to have fun as I dedicate my life to serve Him. Dealing with church business, staff transitions, leadership decisions, counseling, etc is all part of the deal of serving the people of God. I need to renew my delight in the Lord as I do all these things and then I will expect God to give me the desires of my heart.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, please forgive me for the many times I’m not delighting in you, when I put my trust in my own efforts, and when I envy those who are evil and successful. Please help me to stay consistent in my commitment of doing good and serving you and your people. Let me delight in your presence and give me diligence to find moments of joy at your feet. Draw me close to you during this season and help me find my delight in your embrace and everlasting love. Amen.

No comments: