Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

STRONG BUT VULNERABLE. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
If you think you are standing strong, be careful, for you, too, may fall into the same sin. But remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can’t stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it. 1 Corinthians 10:12-13

Observation:
The apostle Paul here warns us about thinking that we cannot sin the same way others do. He doesn’t wants us to feel immune to temptations, especially in the areas when we think we are strong. Paul knows that is easier to judge others from a place where we feel safe. We tell ourselves, “I can’t believe this person fell in this area! i would never do that!” Such attitude is arrogant and must be avoided. Instead we need to understand that we all face the same temptations. We can also fall! But in the midst of temptation, we have an assurance that God is faithful, and that He will always provide a way out. If we fall, it’s because our arrogance and our lack of endurance, not because God is cruel. We must remember that we may be strong, but we are always vulnerable.

Application:
Very easy to fall into the arrogance trap! We could stand on our pedestal of self-righteousness and think of ourselves as better than others because we don’t make other people’s mistakes. The reality is that we may fall into the same sin. We may be strong, but we will always be vulnerable. There are many areas in my life where I feel weak and I try to be extra careful to not fall into temptation. But there are other areas where I feel very strong and I don’t pay too much attention when the tempter comes around. I should be more careful in those areas where I feel strong. I need to realize that I could fall as well. I’m not above the law and I need to apply myself so I can endure the temptations.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, please help me to remember that I’m vulnerable like everyone else and that at any moment I could fall, even in those areas where I feel so strong. Help me to pay attention to my heart, to avoid arrogance and self-righteousness, and to develop endurance when in the midst of temptation. Amen.

No comments: