Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, March 28, 2008

CAN, BUT NO CAN. By Kamu Sing

Scripture
Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.
1 Corinthians 10:24

Observation
This passage speaks about putting others before yourself. As the verse before says how everything is permissible but not beneficial or constructive, most of what this is saying is how even though you can do most things and it’s okay, sometimes as a believer, choices will be made not because of it being legal or illegal, but whether morally right or wrong in the company of others.

Application
Just recently in speech class, I’ve been learning about different methods of a persuasive speech: Questions of Fact, Questions of Value, or Questions of Policy. In Questions of Fact it addresses things that are true or false, in Questions of Policy it addresses things that you should do or not do, but in Questions of Value it addresses the things that are morally right or wrong. Being morally right or wrong is connected to our belief system and as we read today about everything being permissible but not beneficial or constructive, it reads as though God is defining our moral value to what we should or should not do. For instance, even though we are physically capable to crawl on our knees, should we? Or what about our ability to talk down to people, is that really beneficial? Today, I feel that God is asking me to review the moral standards that I have on my life and ask myself in every instance of my actions, “Am I thinking of others well being as I act in this way?”

Prayer
Lord, I receive your direction this morning. Continue to refine me in the ways that I live, speak, and think so that in everything I do, I would bring glory to Your Name. I love you in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: