Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

HIDDEN THINGS COMPROMISE VICTORY. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel says: Hidden among you, O Israel, are things set apart for the Lord. You will never defeat your enemies until you remove those things.
Joshua 7:13

Observation:
Israel could not defeat the army of Ai because Achan had hidden certain things that he wasn’t supposed to have. Achan’s sin was of greed and impatience. He lusted after a fine Babylonian robe, some silver coins and a bar of gold. If he had waited few more days, he could have the same things, probably even more, when plundering Ai. These hidden things brought a curse upon the people and compromised the victory over the enemies of Israel. The only solution for Joshua was to find them and get rid of them.

Application:
Many times I wonder why victory is so elusive in some Christians. One possibility, is the hidden things that stay buried deep in our hearts and that we don’t want to let go. It is possible that out of greed we keep things, attitudes, and plans that compromise our victory. Also is very possible that out of impatience we hold onto certain things and place our security in them, forfeiting our trust in God’s timing, and therefore, compromising victory. Certainly, the Son has set us free, and we are free in deed. The problem is when we protect the hidden things and neglect removing them from our lives. We struggle between thinking like Joshua or like Achan. Joshua became the conqueror. Achan and his entire family died as a consequence of their foolishness. I want to have a Joshua-like mindset!

Also as a leader, I need to seek for hidden things when victory is elusive. I need to help people to uncover, confess, and remove the things that do not belong in their hearts. I cannot deal with this softly. It needs to be handled boldly and swiftly. Not only the lives of the individuals are at stake, but also the lives of those around them and their entire camp. We cannot allow hidden things to compromise victory in our homes, in our families, in our ministries, and in our church.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, please forgive me for many hidden things in my heart that compromise the victory your cross has purchased. I don’t want to forfeit the blessings of the freedom you provided for me with such a high price. Let me live in your freedom as I offer full devotion to you. Guard me from greed and impatience. Let me expose and remove the hidden things of my heart, and let me secure an outstanding victory in my life. Amen.

No comments: