Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

HE DIED FOR SOMETHING! By Renee Takahashi

Scripture:
I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21

Observation:
It is sometimes easier to have rules to follow because then it would be a matter of how closely you can show that you are abiding by them. It wouldn’t be so much a matter of your heart than that you are following rules. Your actions might not even be motivated by your heart, but the set rules that you need to follow. There was a lot of legalism that justified the way many were oppressed. But when Jesus came, it changed from law to grace. It was not by what you did, but trusting that the Lord Jesus died on the cross for us and it is in His power only that we are saved. Not by our works.

Application:
The phrase that jumps at me this morning is “Christ died for nothing!” The way this always tugs at my heart is not so much about following rules, but when I am convicted that I do not trusting Him completely. I see this when I know the word says He loves me, but I do not receive it. When the word says I am forgiven, and I don’t receive it. The Lord’s way is beyond my comprehension so I limit how much I can receive from Him. He is faithful to fulfill all His words, but I am so limited to receive. These are the times when I get convicted… if I don’t step out to live as He promises, then He died for nothing… That breaks my heart so much that I immediately go into repentance and try again. I want my life to be a banner that reads…. “He died for something”. I need all the grace He has died to give, and I never, ever want to take it for granted or to cast it aside. How will I be different today because of what I have just read? To live my life that shows Christ died for something.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, I am sorry of the times that I try to do things on my own. I am sorry that I rely more on me following rules, keeping appearances than by accepting your grace through the cross. Forgive me Father for trying to earn my way, rather than living under your grace. Thank you for recalibrating my heart by the words… Christ died for nothing! That conviction is so hard to bear, that image is so humbling that it quickly gets my focus back on your love, your grace and mercy rather than my self focus. In your mighty name I pray… amen

No comments: