Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, March 7, 2008

OUT OF EGYPT. By Renee Takahashi

Scripture:
Be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery... And He brought us out from there to bring us in and give us the land that he promised on oath to our forefathers.
Deuteronomy 6: 12, 23

Observation:
There can be a bit of Egypt in all of us. A slave to something that keeps us from being totally dependent upon the Lord. But the Lord can free us from that bondage. He is the one that HAS, not will, not maybe but HAS brought us out of Egypt. We must be careful to remember that and live our lives according to this truth. God brings us out of places that we are struggling in or places that are not His best for us, to take us to something better.

Application:
When something is tough and seemingly out of my ability to handle it, I may quickly go to the Lord and pray and pray and pray. When that circumstance passes, then I may not be so fervent about praying. I may even forget the Lord’s presence and resume to my old patterns of self-reliance. No wonder Moses warned the people NOT to forget the Lord. He is the only one that can bring me out of bondage to whatever holds me back from totally giving my life to the Lord. God promises to bring me out of something to bring me in to something better. He hears the cry of my heart like He heard the cries from the Israelites. When things got tough, the Israelites didn’t keep faith and therefore were stuck in the desert. God promises to bring me into something better, sometimes even when I don’t realize I’m in a place that is not good. He promises me the promise land. Will I be miss the blessings because of lack of faith? Even when I don’t see what God is doing, will I hang on to what He promises instead of what I visibly see? Will I lean on my own understanding rather than trusting in God? I pray that I will not! I pray that I will keep the faith and follow Him out that He might bring me in!
How will I be different today because of what I have just read?

Prayer:
Father, thank you that your heart is to take me OUT of bondage to take me IN to the promised land, the eternal kingdom. Thank you that you teach me along the way the many lessons of truth, love, compassion, perseverance, integrity and faith. Help me to remember what you are doing for me and forgive me for my old pattern of self-reliance. I surrender to you! In the mighty name of Jesus I pray, amen.

No comments: