Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Monday, March 31, 2008

ACTING HONORABLY. By Pastor Fernando.

Scripture:
Jotham continued, “Now make sure you have acted honorably and in good faith by making Abimelech your king, and that you have done right by Gideon and all of his descendants. Have you treated him with the honor he deserves for all he accomplished? For he fought for you and risked his life when he rescued you from the Midianites. Judges 9:16-17

Observation:
Abimelech and the people of Shechem did not acted honorably nor in good faith towards Gideon and his 70 sons. Abimelech killed all his brothers so he could be king and the people condone this behavior. Only Jothan survived! After everything Gideon did for them, the people were cruel to his memory and to his descendants. They allowed a greedy and cruel man like Abimelech to take advantage of the situation. Jotham’s compares his brother’s leadership ruthless like a thorn bush and cursed the people for their behavior. As a result, both Abimelech and the people suffered their own destruction. Jothan teaches us that it is important to give proper honor to those who have served us well, and to bless them and protect them, even when their presence is not around anymore.

Application:
It is very important that remember those whose sacrifice and service have brought tremendous blessing into our lives. I can think of so many faithful pastors and servants that gave up many comforts to take the gospel to my family and that invested in my spiritual growth. Many of them had flaws! However, they deserve a special place of honor in my heart. I need to make sure that they will be always treated honorably and that everything I say and do is motivated in good faith. I have leaders above me that deserve respect and honor, regardless of their mistakes towards me. When I have the opportunity, I will speak and act in good faith, always thankful for the many good things they have brought into my life. Also I have people that have serve under me. They deserve the same treatment of honor and good faith, especially when they are not around anymore. In my memory, I will withhold all the good memories of their dedication and service and I will throw away all the negative memories. In this way, I will bring honor to them and I will honor God as well!

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, sometimes is easy to compromise honor and respect for feelings of disappointment and revenge. Let me always give proper honor and act in good faith towards those who have serve me. I don’t want to take advantage of their mistakes and use them for my advance. I refuse to think and behave in such way. Please reveal immediately in my heart when this mindset is not present in my conversations and in my private pondering. Let me always remember the good and reject the bad about your servants. Let me act honorably and in good faith towards people. Amen!