Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

THIRSTY FOR GOD. By Pastor Fernando.

Scripture:
O God, Thou art my God; I shall seek Thee earnestly;
My soul thirsts for Thee, my flesh yearns for Thee,
In a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Thus I have beheld Thee in the sanctuary,
To see Thy power and Thy glory.
Psalm 63:1-2

Observation:
David experienced the extreme conditions of the desert. While in exile, he had to be subject to the precarious lifestyle of the wilderness. He and his companions suffered lack of food and water to the point of going and ask charity from others like Nabal in 1 Samuel 25. For David, the struggle for water had parallels in his desire for intimacy with God.

The diligence required to survive in the wilderness demanded constant searching for water, especially early in the morning before the sun got stronger. Desperation and frustration increased when their search was unfortunate, but joy and satisfaction arrived when they found something to drink. The same diligence is required for those who seek closeness with God. Their desire to survive in this world has to be so intense that it will cause them to do whatever it takes to find the source of water for their soul. Diligence was not an option but a non-negotiable in order to make it through the season. David knew deep in his heart that seeking God was the priority above literal water. He felt the weakness of his soul and the deprivation of his spirit when away from God’s presence. He was diligent to seek God and to depend in His nourishment in order to make it through the day.

Application:
We cannot take breaks from God, or even worse, go through the scorching sun of daily routine without the provision He has prepared for our soul. David knew very well that physical starvation would not affect his relationship with God the way busyness, laziness, or indifference would. Demoting intimacy with God to a minor priority would result not only in spiritual weakness, but also in relational distance with God. David lived for God and couldn’t be away from Him. The same way should be for me. I have to seek him diligently by defeating my own emotions (when I feel that my devotion is neither deep nor fruitful), my own physical limitations (when I’m tired and drained), and my busy schedule (when I have too much stuff to do).

Besides doing daily devotions, there is plethora of spiritual disciplines that keep me diligent in my search for God’s presence. Lately I’ve been neglecting and ignoring some of these disciplines and I must go back fully devoted to them. I cannot allow my soul become dry. There are hundreds of people depending on my spiritual condition. They are distressed and downcast like sheep without shepherd. My compassion for them and my service must be a result of having my spirit soaked with the presence of God. This is the best way I can love them.
Today the Lord is calling me back to intensify my disciplines or prayer, fasting, solitude, and silence. I need to keep my prophetic edge sharp and ready to bless others. I cannot bring people closer to God if I’m not closer to Him.

Prayer:
Dear Jesus, please forgive me for neglecting some spiritual disciplines and for demoting my intimacy with you to give room to my own desire and busy schedule. I cannot live without you. I cannot serve you away from you. I’m not designed to love people without your love. I need you more than I need water, or bread, or affection, or recognition, or security, or welfare. Please arise my passion for you and bring me closer to your heart so I can bring others closer to you. AMEN!

No comments: