Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Sunday, April 27, 2008

KEEPER OF MY HEART... MY MOUTH. By Renee Takahashi

Scripture:
You offspring of vipers! How can you speak good things when you are evil? For out of the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks. But I tell you, on the day of judgment men will have to give account for every ‘idle word they speak.
Matt 12:34, 36

Observation:
Verse 36 reminds me to choose words carefully because I will have to account for the thoughtless, non productive things I say. Verse 34 tells me the source of the words. If I want to say encouraging things, words that speak life, then I need to guard my heart of what goes into it. The words I use can tell a person my belief system, my perspective on life, my character.

Application:
The Bible clearly tells us what our mouths are for. It is to speak life not death. Our words are so powerful. It reaches far beyond that moment in time which it was used… it lingers for days, weeks, perhaps even years in the heart of the person spoken to. What kind of action are my words promoting/inspiring in others? Are my words a well of encouragement even through discipline or is it machetti that cuts someone down? And to be constantly choosing words that bring life, I need to really guard my heart. If I have bitterness in there, even if not aimed at that person, it will come up. If I have fear, I will speak words of judgment, envy, worry. If I have disbelief, I will speak words that are faithless. I must be on my toes as the sharpest sentinel of my heart!
How will I be different today because of what I have just read?
I will ask a few close and trusted people to share with me their observation. People of different relationships with me: my spouse, my children, mentors, mentees, co workers, superiors, etc.

Prayer:
Father God, thank you for the ability to express myself through the spoken word. Please help me to guard my heart to that out of the overflow would be words that glorify you. Please help me to carefully choose words that are appropriate for the situation. Please help me to choose words of life. I ask that you would direct me to those who will give me a clear observation of the words I speak and if it brings life or death. I love you Jesus… I surrender my mouth to you. May it be a humble servant to spread your goodness! In the mighty name of Jesus I pray… amen

No comments: