Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, April 11, 2008

BATTLEFIELD MIND. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture
For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:4-5

Observation:
The reasoning of our mind is crucial when getting closer to God. If our thoughts are wholesome, a sense of closeness and intimacy with the Lord will always increase. But if we are having X rated, selfish, sinful and polluted thoughts, a sense of distance will become more evident in our relationship with God. Our minds are the battleground in which the forces of evil clash with the Spirit of God. Our salvation starts and is maintained in our minds. We cannot experience victory over the sinful nature if our minds are not under the domain of the Spirit of God. Well-intended believers try to take over their sinful habits with positive techniques, alternative activities, and even religious traditions. However, if these practices are not tied up with an honest and diligent work of the mind, the efforts will be frustrating. Holiness in the body cannot be achieved without holiness in the mind. God took care of the holiness of our spirit in order to give us the weapons that will make our minds holy and our bodies holy. These weapons are not of the flesh but divinely powerful, meaning that they are effective to deal with the claws of sin in our life.

Application:
In order to walk in victory we must have the mind of Christ. We redeem our thoughts by staying closer to His word. However, remember that the devil has memorized the scripture and he still is the devil. We need to live out the teachings of the Bible and allow a transformation in our thinking. We cannot be saved and think the same way than before our encounter with Jesus.

We must become people that think the way God thinks. We must stay away from popular opinion and stay closer to God’s opinion. We must know the Scriptures but also the Scriptures must know us. We need to be teachable in our mindset towards God’s voice. At the same time, we must be stubborn and unmovable in our mindset towards the voices of this world.
We must use the weapons of our warfare in order to win the battles in our minds. As a leader I must put more into practice Samuel’s method of keeping his mind online with the Spirit of God:

"Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you; but I will instruct you in the good and right way."
1 Samuel 12:23

Prayer:
Dear Jesus, thank you for the weapons you have supplied for me to win the battles in my mind. Please help me to bring my thoughts captive under you ruling and help me to think more like you think. As a leader in the church, help me to represent you well by having my mind online with your Holy Spirit. Help me to pray more instead of trying to solve people’s problems on my own. Help me to pray in the way godly leaders pray. Also give me boldness and wisdom to preach the truth in such a way that people are compelled to obey you. I highly value the opportunity you have given me to speak into people’s lives. So please help me to be diligent as much as I can to communicate your life-giving messages to those you entrusted me under my care. I love you Lord. AMEN!

No comments: