Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, April 17, 2008

FORCED FEAR. By Alika Kalauli

Scripture:
The Philistine came out morning and evening, presenting himself for forty days.
1 Samuel 17:16

Observation:
I've always liked reading the stories about David. I love the courage and the faith that David had as he went from person to person asking," Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?" We all read that Goliath was a very big person and he was very strong and stuff, but, I wanted to know why Goliath chose to come out and confront Israel in the morning and the evening. Why not at mid day. Was it just by happen chance, or was it a strategic move. I believe that it was Goliath's strategy. He wanted to instilled fear into the Israelites. And for forty days, he did exactly that. He presented himself at those specific times so that he would be the first thing they see and hear as they started there day and the last thing that they saw and heard right before they went to bed. Fear gripped the Israelites so bad that it paralyzed them. All they could do was talk about tough Goliath looked or how big he was. All day. Fear! Fear! Fear!

Application:
I know that fear can be a huge negative strong hold in our lives. Fear of not making rent, not having enough food for my 'ohana, or even the fear of death. These fears can hold us down, keep us under, cause us to forget who we are in Christ, however, when we begin to identify these fears and start to face them by faith, we realize that things aren't really as bad as it seemed. God is still in control. He has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, of love, and of sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).

Prayer:
Lord, I thank You for always helping me to identify my fears and to give me the courage to confront them. It is in You that I put my trust and in You I am an over comer. For You have not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, of love, and of sound mind. I love You my Father. I give You all the honor and all the glory with thanksgiving...in Jesus name I pray. Amen

No comments: