Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

RESOLVING CONFLICT. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
But when David's oldest brother, Eliab, heard David talking to the men, he was angry. "What are you doing around here anyway?" he demanded. "What about those few sheep you're supposed to be taking care of? I know about your pride and dishonesty. You just want to see the battle!" "What have I done now?" David replied. "I was only asking a question!" He walked over to some others and asked them the same thing and received the same answer.
1 Samuel 17:28-30

Observation:
David’s older brother, Eliab, was angry when listening to David’s comments about the challenge of Goliath. In his anger, Eliab accused David of being motivated by pride and dishonesty. David’s response was defensive but very wise. He didn't say much, but he said enough, and walked away. He was careful in picking his battles carefully. He wasn’t going to spend energy arguing with his brother—his fight was going to be against a giant enemy. He walked away from conflict with his brother and run into the right battlefield. However, David was firm when confronting Eliab. Walking away before he said something stupid to his brother was the wisest thing David could do at that moment.

Application:
We are not told what was Eliab’s motivation to accuse David. He was possibly insecure and threatened by David’s comments about Goliath. As the firstborn, he could be envious of David’s courageous words and wished to be the one who had that attitude. The younger brother was acting as the older brother. Perhaps he was annoyed by the way God always favored David. Whatever was motivating Eliab for the accusations, it caused a tense situation between the two brothers. Eliab wants to display his courage by picking a fight with his younger brother, but David displayed real courage when picking a battle with a giant.

Many brothers and sisters intentionally or unintentionally will try to pick up fights with each other. When accusations are thrown at me, my tendency is to fight back and defend myself. David teaches me that it’s important to remain firm but to quickly walk away and spent energy in the real conflicts that require all my mind and energy. Whatever motivation causes others to argue with me, weather is envy, or hurt, or revenge, or simply poor people skills, I must see the greater fight at all times. I need to learn how to pick my battles wisely without compromising my integrity or reputation. Walking away from an unnecessary conflict is one of the wisest yet hardest habits to learn. But it brings us to the right battlefields to face the right opponents. Many people do not experience victory or promotion because they are busy fighting in the wrong battlefields. I must have my eyes wide open to identify the real enemy and walk away from the situations and conversations that have volatile elements that will distract me from the real battle. Satan loves when God’s people start shooting at each other instead of using the ammunition against his forces of darkness.

Prayer:
Dear Jesus, please forgive me for the many times I have picked the wrong battles and injured people that in reality are on my side. Please give me grace and discernment to see beyond their accusations, jokes, behavior, poor people skills, and wrong attitude. Give me the strength to walk away from those situations where conflict can be avoided. Give me wisdom and proper people skills to quickly and firmly confront with truth and grace and to move on into the correct battlefield were I will face the real enemy. Please make me humble and free from a desire to prove my innocence when accused wrongly. Let me trust in you and in your ability to handle my conflict with others. Cause all my relationships to flourish within the boundaries of truth spoken in love. At the same time, don’t let me be like Eliab throwing accusations motivated by insecurity, envy, revenge, or hurt. Help me to hold accountable those under my care the way you should and always seeking Your very best in their lives. I love you Lord. AMEN!

No comments: