Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Saturday, April 5, 2008

FROM BITTER TO BETTER. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
“Don’t call me Naomi,” she told them. “Instead, call me Mara, for the Almighty has made life very bitter for me. I went away full, but the Lord has brought me home empty. Why should you call me Naomi when the Lord has caused me to suffer and the Almighty has sent such tragedy?”
Ruth 1:20-21

Observation:
Naomi’s life is an illustration of what happens to many of us. We may have a good start, but sooner or later, we experience setbacks, disappointments, and even pain. She lost everything, even her hope for the future. Her name, which means “pleasant” felt ridiculous for a woman that lived in bitterness. So she asks people to call her Mara, which means “bitter.” The amazing thing is that God’s Word continues referring to her as Naomi. God’s Word remains encouraging even when our circumstances are very discouraging. The book of Ruth to me is not just about Ruth, but also about Naomi. Both ladies experienced the restoring power of God working through a redeemer. Naomi had a last chapter in her life full of joy and redemption that made the past chapters pale. God is like that! He will always take us from bitter to better.

Application:
God is not done with us! This is important to know when we find ourselves surrounded by discouragement and bitterness. When we walk with God, failure is destined to fade and give room to redemption. This is the only way we can get through difficult moments. This is the only way to move from bitter to better. We need to endure in our hardships, persevere in our faith, and keep our trust in the power of God to bring a solution into our bitter seasons. Our last chapters haven’t been written. God’s Word doesn’t call us “failures” not “bitter ones.” God’s Word call us “more than conquerors, blessed people, and the redeemed.” I want God’s Word to tell me who I am, not my circumstances.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for being so faithful to me. In spite of my disappointments, I trust that you will bring redemption sooner or later. No matter how the world calls me or how I call myself, your Word calls me “blessed.” Let me live according to your Word’s expectations and help me to see the power of the Redeemer touching the areas where bitterness wants to settle in. Move me from bitter to better in all the areas of my life where there’s setbacks. I trust in you and in the power of your love for me. Amen!

No comments: