Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, April 11, 2008

SEEING THE WARNING SIGNS. By Kamu Sing.

Scripture
'Then we will be like all the other nations, with a king to lead us and to go out before us and fight our battles." 1 Samuel 8:20

Observation
Israel in this passage is demanding for a King. Looking out at all the other nations and seeing that they have a King to lead them, Israel “needs” a king. So Samuel in disgust, appoints Saul as their new King.

Application
Looking at Israel, they had a genuine desire for a leader. They were getting nervous and afraid of Samuel getting older and them not having anyone to lead them on behalf of God. And so the only natural thing to do is to ask for one. They gave reasons for needing a King; they even compared to other nations about their success of having a King. Israel was getting desperate. And so, they did everything they could to get what they wanted. Samuel on the other hand, acquired God’s counsel. As God spoke, Samuel listened. God proposed that Israel did not need a physical King because God was their King, but Israel did not hear. Samuel even went to an extent of describing what a King, whom they are requesting, will be like. Israel still did not hear.

I wonder how many times am I like Israel. My heart could be in the right place but my focus is just a little off. A lot of times, I’ll think of what is best for my life, my ministry, and the direction that I feel God is leading. I most likely will use the experience I have from the past as well as looking around at others and observing their success. While sometimes that is beneficial, I wonder if I miss the warning signs that God is putting right in front of my face. I wonder if I’m so set on what “I” feel God wants, when it actually is what “I” feel “I” want. Whether it’s out of fear or pride, experience or past failures, I would rather be comfortable on the outcome that I know rather than the blessing that God knows.

And so the question isn’t so much as, “what do I do?” or “where is this all going?” I should be asking myself, “Is this what God wants me to do or what I want me to do?”

Prayer
Lord, forgive me of the many times I rely on me for direction and discernment. Forgive me of looking in and out first, instead of looking up. I desire to be a Samuel that hears you and obeys. Help me to recognize the warning signs that you put before me and obey your direction even when no one else is doing it. I want you to be my King. I love You. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: