Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Sunday, April 27, 2008

ABIGAIL'S HUMILITY. By Renee Takahashi.

Scripture:
One of the servants told Nabal’s wife Abigail; “David sent messengers from the desert to give our master his greetings, but he hurled insults at them. Now think it over and see what you can do, because disaster is hanging over our master and his whole household. He is such a wicked man."
1 Samuel 25: 14,17

Observation:
There are so many great things I learn from Abigail; her sensibility, her call to quick action, her capability to do great things, her wisdom. I believe all these things and more prepared her for this moment. She would be challenged to save her household which was the pivotal moment that brought change to her life. Although the culture of the times had women less valued, Abigail’s character must have been known to the servants. Her life, her deeds must have bred hope and loyalty from them. Even if her husband was such a wicked man, this servant recognized that he could talk to her. He trusted her to make things right.

Application:
I am inspired by Abigail’s many qualities. She is a role model for me. This morning, the Lord highlights for me her character of humility. It was her humility that opened the door to hear the words of her servant that started the course of action that would change her life. It was her humility to know there was something more than just her own situation as she pleaded with David not to avenge himself for someone else’s foolishness. It was her humility that had her prepare sustenance for David’s men. It was her humility that she took responsibility upon herself not blaming anyone. I wonder, do I live my life with humility that those I lead can trust me to make things right?
How will I be different today because of what I have just read?
I will ask the Holy Spirit to reveal I me any pride that keeps me from hearing the words, caution, counsel of others.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, good morning. Thank you for this time to be with you, hearing from you, learning from others. Thank you for such a wonderful role model in Abigail. Teach me how to develop the great character she had and to seek the opportunities to glorify your name. In Jesus’ mighty name I pray.. amen

No comments: