Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Saturday, April 19, 2008

TAKES TWO TO CLAP. By Renee Takahashi

Scripture:
But when you give to charity, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.
Matt 6:3

Observation:
Like so many scriptures in the Bible, this one is simple, yet so profound. It gives me such a clear picture of doing good deeds with the right motive. When we do things, it is the work of our “hands”. We use our hands to serve others. We use our hands to help cook, clean, drive, give, carry... the list goes on an on. The visual that Matthew uses in this scripture is brilliant. He tells that when you are in the act of service, your right hand be independent of your left. I love it! Matthew reminds me in this visual not to do things for applause. To clap, I use two hands. But if each hand is “independent” of the other, there will be no clapping going on; only serving!

Application:
For some reason, this scripture was one that stuck in my memory from early on. I reflect today and heart check my motives for serving others and doing good deeds. If I am motivated by the approval of man, how much am I cutting myself short of God’s best in me? When I do good deeds to be recognized for it, then like Matthew says in verse 1, I will not get the reward with and from my Father in heaven. I don’t want to miss out on that. If I obey Him and give Him all the glory, then how much more can be done! Are my hands working together to bring me applause, taking the glory away from our Father?

How will I be different today because of what I have just read? I will do in secret what the Lord calls me to. I will obey what, when and how He commands me.

Prayer:
Father God, I repent of the times I have stolen the glory and cut myself short of the blessings I could have received had I not had the applause of man. I want your approval, and your praise. I want to be your humble servant. Use me in ways no one has to know about and let me be filled with your presence. I commit my flesh of wanting approval and applause from others unto the cross. In faith, I thank you for the blood of Jesus to cover me and wash me clean so that my hands work independently for your glory! In your mighty name I pray.. amen

No comments: