Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

HEARTS POURED OUT IN PRAYER. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
Hannah was in deep anguish, crying bitterly as she prayed to the Lord. And she made this vow: “O Lord of Heaven’s Armies, if you will look upon my sorrow and answer my prayer and give me a son, then I will give him back to you. He will be yours for his entire lifetime, and as a sign that he has been dedicated to the Lord, his hair will never be cut.” As she was praying to the Lord, Eli watched her. Seeing her lips moving but hearing no sound, he thought she had been drinking. “Must you come here drunk?” he demanded. “Throw away your wine!” “Oh no, sir!” she replied. “I haven’t been drinking wine or anything stronger. But I am very discouraged, and I was pouring out my heart to the Lord.”
1 Samuel 1:10-15

Observation:
Eli’s lack of discernment causes him to misjudge Hannah’s devotion to God. He thinks she’s drunk. But she’s is in deep anguish. She is discouraged and desperate for God’s answer to her prayers so she moves her lips without making sounds. Obviously, she is not aware of who is around her. She doesn’t want to distract others, so she prays quietly. She is simply pouring her heart to the Lord.

Application:
Amazing the way sometimes we become self-conscious of our own devotion to Christ. Hannah simply poured her heart in prayer. she kept a good balance between being sensitive to others and being genuine in her devotion to Christ. I’m always bothered by sincere believers that lack sensitivity in their devotion to God. But also I’m bothered by those of us who become self-conscious and withhold our hearts being poured out.

Lately the Lord has been echoing in my heart about the importance of pouring my heart in prayer. This spiritual exercise has become dull and needs to be rekindled. I need to seek God in the same way Hannah search Him. Much blessings are waiting for my partnership with God in passionate prayer. I need to come before the Lord with an open heart, ready to pour everything before Him, willing to be transformed by the power of His glory, and ready to receive an answer to my pleas.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for reminding me of the importance of pouring my heart in prayer. Please forgive me for the many times my prayers are simply words without passion. Let me pour out my heart before you in a spirit of sincere faith. Let me seek you first in all my dealings and grant me the opportunity to see my prayers answered according to your will. Amen!

No comments: