Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, January 10, 2008

THE TEST OF FAITH & OBEDIENCE. By Pastor Fernando Castillo

Scripture
“Later on God tested Abraham’s faith and obedience.” Genesis 22:1

Observation
Later on, in the mature years of his life, Abraham endured a difficult test that would reflect the true condition of his heart towards God. He waited for God’s promise of a son with Sarah. This son represented a greater promise of blessing and now, God was asking him to sacrifice him as a burnt offering. Abraham’s resolve to obey God’s instruction and his faith to believe in the provision of God helped him to endure the test. As a result, God secured Abraham’s blessing and all the nations of the earth have been blessed because of him.

But this wasn’t Abraham’s first test of faith and obedience. In the past he endured other similar tests and he didn’t performed very well. He had troubles believing in the provision of God for a son, so Ishmael was born out of his own attempt to provide for himself. His faith was also tested when coming to Abimelech and risked his wife’s integrity because he was afraid of being killed. He failed several times, but as he learned the lessons and grew older and more solid in his relationship with God, he was able to endure the test that will secure the greatest blessing in his life.

Application
We all endure tests of faith and obedience in our lifetime. They come unannounced, like pop quizzes. You don’t have time to study the lessons. In those moments, you will show what you really have. You cannot make up answers or try to impress with wordy essays. You have to act and say the exact stuff. No room for error! A great blessing is on the line. Would I pass the test?

Tallying my performance and comparing failed against passed tests will probably result in a disappointing conclusion. But if I focus my attention in the lessons learned and in the insight God has given me on all those past experiences, I’m confident and encouraged to face new tests as they come. One thing I know: when I fail, He comes to comfort me, to pick me up and to provide grace to start all over again; and when I pass the test, He will secure the blessings he has promised. In both scenarios I’m blessed! But everything builds up to what’s coming next, to an increase of God’s glory in my life, to the development of a heart that is more devoted to God, and to the transformation of my character into Christ likeness.

Prayer
Lord Jesus, please forgive me for the many tests I fail every single day. Thank you for the many tests that I pass every day! When I fail your grace sustains me and when I succeed your grace enables me. It’s all about you! Please, prepare me as new tests arrive and new decisions need to be made. I need your strength to trust you when my faith seems small. Give me perseverance to obey your word when my flesh seems to have more control. Let me grow in maturity, just like Abraham did in the later days of his life. Help me to pass the tests of faith and obedience so your name is glorified as greater blessings are released in my life. Amen!

No comments: