Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Monday, January 28, 2008

FOOD THAT LOOKS LIKE FLAKES. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture
When the dew disappeared later in the morning, thin flakes, white like frost, covered the ground. The Israelites were puzzled when they saw it. “What is it?” They asked. And Moses told them, “It’s the food the Lord has given you. The Lord says that each household should gather as much as it needs…”
Exodus 16:14-16

Observation
The manna was God’s provision for Israel while in the desert. God promised them to care for them and to sustain them by sending them food. But the manna didn’t look like food at all. It looked like white frost. I can picture in my mind the expression on the people’s faces when they expected something looking like sweet bread from Egypt and god white flakes. “What’s this?” sounded not much like a sincere question motivated by their ignorance, but as an unthankful remark of distaste motivated by their lack of trust in God.

Application
God’s provision for my daily strength sometimes will look and feel like a juicy stake; but very often it will look like white flakes. It’s important to check my attitude and dismiss any thoughts of discontentment when my expectations are not met. I need to be thankful for what God provides for my life and think like a son of a King, not like a slave. Kingdom people recognize God’s food, even when it looks like white flakes. Kingdom people find food in God’s Word where others find stories and irrelevant principles. Can I see God’s rich provision in my life and respond in thanksgiving for it? Or do I doubt that God will give me what I need for that day?

Prayer
Lord Jesus, please forgive me for the many times I approach your word with the wrong attitude, thinking that because I will read a familiar passage, or a difficult part of Scripture, I will not find my daily provision for life. Let me be thankful for what you provide for me, even when it looks and tastes like white flakes. Let me see beyond what I can perceive and let my spirit receive with joy the truths of your Word. Feed me the way you want me to be fed. I will not tell you how to feed me. You already know what I need for each day. I love you Jesus. Amen!

No comments: