Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, January 10, 2008

HOW TO HELP OTHERS! By Renee Takahashi

Scripture:
"But a certain Samaritan, as he traveled along, came down to where he was; and when he SAW him, he was moved with pity and sympathy, And WENT TO HIM and dressed his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he set him on his own beast and brought him to an inn and took care of him. And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper, saying “TAKE CARE OF HIM; and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I return." Luke 10: 33-35

Observation
This is the popular story about the Good Samaritan. It shares the story of a Samaritan who came upon a beaten man alongside the road. When the Samaritan SAW him, he had pity upon the man and went to him helped him. And then when he could do all that he could for the moment, he asked the innkeeper for help. Of all the times I have read this scripture, I only saw the perspective about the Samaritan being the one you would not expect to help, being the one with the heart to help. I learned that what being a “neighbor” meant Today, my eyes are open to a different view. I see clear instructions on what is asked of me to help someone. First I must SEE the person, then go to the person. and be aware that the person needs help. Then, I must recognize that I may not be able to do it on my own and that I may need someone to help me care for the person.

Application
To help someone who is in need and going through some difficult times, I must first SEE it. I cannot be so wrapped up in my own world that I am not aware of things that are going on around me. I cannot be focused on me and miss those the Lord is bringing around me for me to SEE! And I must go to the person and not expect that someone in need will ask for help. He may be walking through life not even knowing how to ask for help. I must go to him. Finally, it is ok to extend a hand to someone even when I don’t have all the answers. I can direct him to the proper resources. I don’t have to feel that I have to “save” this person, for the Lord is our Savior and I can lean on Him for wisdom on how the Lord want me to take care of the person.
How will I be different today because of what I have just read?
I will be different by asking the Lord to show me those around me that He wants me to help. I will ask God to give me clear direction on how to help that person.

Prayer
Father God, thank you for the opportunity to serve you by serving another. Thank you that you will make clear to me who around me you would like me to see and go to, and that you will give me wisdom on how to help and best care for that person. Thank you Father, that I do not have to search; but that if I remain in you, you will direct my path. I don’t want to miss the opportunity and not be a neighbor to whomever you have assigned for me to be. Thank you Father for your love! In the mighty name of Jesus, I pray… amen!

No comments: