Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

CURIOSITY THAT KILLED THE CAT. By Tj Gorum.

Scripture
“When the Lord saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush..."
Exodus 3:4

Observation
For what seems like forever, as far as I can tell, God has not appeared to be active in the midst of Israel. Rather it has seemed like He has forsaken His people under the strong hand of the Egyptians. Even more strange is the fact that God calls to a man in the midst of the wilderness from a burning bush. This man seems to have no intention of ever returning to his people but rather sees a burning bush on the mountain. Moses can’t resist, he must go and see this spectacle. And it is when Moses “strays” from the path that scripture says God was watching and then he called to him. The place/time that God chose to call out to Moses was when he turned aside, not as planned. It seems as if God was watching him very closely and it was during this moment that the Lord was pleased to make one of His greatest appearances of all time.

Application
To be honest sometimes I think I pretend to know more about Christianity than I really do. I tend to think that if we stick on this path for X amount of months that at the end of that path we will meet GOd and be changed forever. But the truth is that although it is good and wise to plan your ways, you never know when and what God is going to do in our lives and make an appearance in our lives. It may be in some of the most seemingly unimportant event, yet that is when God may move the most in our lives or in the life of someone else. You can plan your life as much as you can but if you fail to let the Lord direct your steps than you may indeed miss the Lord in your life. It reminds me of the scripture that says the eyes of the Lord move to and from throughout the earth that He may strongly support those who hearts are completely his.

I need to always leave time/margins for the Lord’s prompting in my life. I don't believe that I should be idle all the time, but my life should not be so busy that I don’t have the time to turn aside and meet the Lord face to face. I must continue to cultivate a sensitivity to His voice and follow His promptings. After all the whole goal of my life is to glorify God and be used by Him. How foolish would it be for me to “plan” and pack my life so tight that when it comes down to it I miss my opportunity to meet God because I am unwilling to turn aside.

Prayer
Father, I am in awe at how great you are in even the littlest things such as a bush. I pray that through Your Spirit I may know when to turn aside and go off on a tangent after you. Lord help me to completely give my heart to you and be diligent to plan my ways but allow you to direct my steps. I love you and trust you. In Jesus name, AMEN

No comments: