Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD. By Ken Primeau

Scripture
"Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong. When you give testimony in a lawsuit, do not pervert justice by siding with the crowd...”
Exodus 23:2

Observation
This is an important lesson for a follower of God. Don’t take part in the wrong doings of other people just because “everyone else is doing it”. God hasn’t asked us to follow the crowd, He’s asked us to follow Him and live according to His words. This isn’t easy. Sometimes this means going against the flow of what everyone else is doing. This sometimes means stirring things up by standing out as someone who won’t give in to the norms.

Sometimes we simply don’t realize that what we are doing is wrong because we think the standards of right and wrong are determined by what people say. If something is culturally acceptable, then it must be okay! This is not true. The standards of right and wrong are determined by God, whether or not the people around us (even the Christians around us) live accordingly.

Application
I remember as a teenager thinking to myself “I know that the bible says I shouldn’t do this thing, but my older brothers did, so it must not be that bad.” Then I’d follow the crowd in committing sin. This was such a faulty way of thinking. In all things, I must live by God’s standards, not those set by other people and definitely not the ones I make up for myself.

Prayer
“Lord, thank you for challenging me to rise above living in mediocrity. I want to be someone who follows you, whether or not anyone else is. Help me to become the leader who helps show people how to truly live for you. Give me boldness and integrity. IJNA.”

No comments: