Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Monday, January 28, 2008

SHORT CUT WARNINGS! By Pastor Fernando

Scripture
When Pharaoh finally let the people go, God did not lead them on the road that runs through Philistine territory, even though was the shortest way from Egypt to the Promised Land. God said, “If the people are faced with a battle, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” So God led them along a route through the wilderness toward the Red Sea, and the Israelites left Egypt like a marching army.
Exodus 13:17-18

Observation
Moses could have led the people through a shorter route, but instead, He led them through the way of the wilderness. The shortest way may not be the shortest way. In fact, it could be the longest way of all. Israel needed to depend on God rather than in Egypt. This couldn’t be done in 40 days or 40 weeks. They needed 40 years to learn how to trust in the Lord. The shortest way would have brought complete rebellion and result in their complete destruction. So God takes them through the wilderness, a place of suffering, a place to be tested, but also a place to be dependent on God.

Application
We need to be aware of our physical eyes' perception of short cuts. What it looks like a short cut could be a maze of deception and confusion. We cannot lose God’s timing in His way to lead us. When walking towards our Promised Land, we must move at God’s pace and towards God’s place. A good thing can easily turn into a bad thing if the timing is not right. Many times the shortest way is not God’s way.

There are a lot of changes coming up that need to happen in my life and in my ministry. There are also a lot of changes happening around me that involve the direction of the church. I need to remember that the shortest way is not necessarily God’s way. The key is to follow the cloud by morning and the Pillar of fire by night. I need to make sure that as a leader, I’m following the Lord, not out of desperation, or with hidden motives. I need to remove myself from seeking any selfish ambition. I must move in a way that is intentional about cultivating relationships with followers, peers, and authorities. If I neglect this, I will end up violating them unnecessarily and unintentionally.

I must watch my heart from honoring innovation above humility and godly procedures. I need to be innovative and implement change! But I will not compromise wisdom and integrity for the sake of being innovative.

Prayer
Lord Jesus, thank you so much for this important reminder in my walk with you. Let me be on the alert for short cuts that will end up in painful detours and help me to avoid them. Please reveal the hidden motives of my heart and of those around me when making important moves towards the Promised Land. Guide us in a way that honors you, that strengthens relationships, and that traces your steps, even if it takes longer than desired. Help us to have discernment about your timing. Help us move according to the command of your voice, not according to the cravings of our heart, nor the desperation of our soul, nor discomforting feelings. Help us to move at your pace and towards your place. Even if others have moved there, let me stay where your grace will be. Maybe they need to move first and grace will be provided for them. But if I move too quickly with them, and you haven’t instructed me to do so, I will not have the grace that they have. Teach me how to be discerning and wise, with a great sense of your timing. Amen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sending prayers to my son, Fred Rodi and the missionary team from your family here in California, with love forever for life!!