Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

GOD IS THE HERO, NOT ME! By Cory Oliveros

Scripture

22 Then Moses went back to the Lord and protested, “Why have you brought all this trouble on your own people, Lord? Why did you send me? 23 Ever since I came to Pharaoh as your spokesman, he has been even more brutal to your people. And you have done nothing to rescue them!”
Exodus 5:22

26 But among you it will be different. Those who are the greatest among you should take the lowest rank, and the leader should be like a servant.
Luke 22:26

Observation
In the beginning of Exodus, God calls Moses on a special mission. He chooses Moses to be the leader of this great Exodus. But Moses tries to get out of it afraid that he is not qualified enough. More so, Moses is afraid people won’t believe him. It’s interesting to read how many times God had to take to convince Moses to go. Wouldn’t you think that this amazing spectacle (the burning bush) would give Moses all the motivation to go and obey immediately? I think that probably freaked him out even more because it let him know that this was something serious. If God, himself, has to come down and ask you, you’d better not screw up like you did before. Moses must’ve thought, man it would be junk if I got involved again and got people into trouble. But it was time for Moses to come out of that comfortable life he was living and step into exercising his faith. Then, the worst scenario happens. It’s crazy, because God let’s Moses know that Pharaoh will be hard. But I guess sometimes, even when you know it’s coming, it still hurts. For Moses, I can see how much it brought him down because this is like his worst nightmare. Finally, stepping out to do God’s work and trying not to fail. At the same time, worried about what people think. We who are reading this story know the outcome and that everything goes as God plans. But at the time, Moses does not know or rather does not have faith in what God had already promised.

Application
I am exactly this way sometimes. It would totally kill me if I let people down. I’d feel so bad if I failed people. Because deep inside, I want to be great and successful in all that I do. That’s ok, but not if I’m trying to steal the glory from the Lord. See, Moses realized later that God’s plan went forward despite what Moses felt or believed. Despite all the circumstances and situation, God brought the victory. I realize that God is not calling me to be a hero, He’s calling me to be a leader. He’s not calling me to have all the right words to say at the opportune moments. He’s calling me to listen and to be ready to deliver. He is the hero, and I get to be a part of His victory as I serve and lead. In this scripture He’s reminding me that things are going to be rough ahead. But press through because His plans are for us to prosper, to have a future and a hope. But I must look for Him wholeheartedly, then He will come and bring restoration and fullness. He is my God, my Hero.

Prayer
Lord, thank you for this awesome word and promise. I repent for my worry of what others think over what You think. All that should matter to me is that You are pleased. So now I choose to live to please You alone and to serve You as a leader. Use me today and give me Your directions to follow. Please forgive me when I doubt, and allow me to press through all of that. In Jesus’ mighty name, Amen.

No comments: