Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

HUMBLE CHECKS. By Cory Oliveros

Scripture
"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” Luke 14:11

Observation
God puts it plain and simple in this scripture. The more we strive to be recognized, we can count on the “humble checks”. Could you imagine in this scene of the banquet, where the usher informs you that there’s someone more important than you that needs your seat, please move to the rear. Ouch, humble check. I think…no, I know we all get them (humble checks). It’s good for us though, because it puts things into perspective.

Application
I can recall one of my biggest “humble-checks”. It was my Senior year in high school. At the time I considered myself to be top 10 amongst the coolest, ha, ha. Until…homecoming game. It was probably one of the most important nights of my high school life, a night that would be written in the history of Moanalua High School. Anyway, being that I was the Senior Class President and in charge of the Homecoming Game program, I decided to put myself in the schedule to sing the national anthem during the pre-game show. That didn’t work out to well since I was out of breath due to pre-game stretching and warm-ups. Still that’s not highlight of the night. You see, after halftime the cheerleaders always hold up a few long banners for us to break through and enter onto the field for the second half. Well, cool ‘ole me decides secretly to be the first one out, ahead of the pack, to break the banners by myself and shine before the hundreds that came to see me. I know, I was pretty pathetic. Anyway, as I violently tear through the banners, I suddenly realize that I’m going at a speed that I’m not used to. Note that I am carrying about 10 lbs from my helmet and shoulder pads, therefore making me top heavy. Now, just imagine it in slow motion with me as I start to lunge forward into an uncontrollable tumble. All is silent in my helmet as I lay there with a huge chunk of grass lodged in my facemask. Then, I rise up to my feet and I’m overwhelmed with a roar of laughter and knee slapping. Can you say HUMBLE-CHECK! Much needed though, and now I can look back and kinda-laugh about it. Ha, very funny Lord.

Prayer
Lord, I thank You for these humble checks. In fact, I ask for more of them. I want to have a servant’s heart. I want to get into the habit and lifestyle of putting others first. Show me Your ways. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHA!!! I LOVE YA CORY!! remember...dont spend all your time boiling chicken, k bro?