Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, September 25, 2008

WHY DO MOTHERS WORRY? By Lei Rol

Scripture
When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you." "Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" But they did not understand what he was saying to them.
Luke 2:48-50

Observation
I can understand how Mary must have felt, traveling for a day thinking she had her one and only son, only to discover that he was not in their company. I can imagine the thoughts of great fear that something may have happened to him. Then you start to panic and ask everyone if they saw him and when no one knows you backtrack in your footsteps to see if he was somewhere along this trail and ask everyone along the trail if they saw him. You continue to anguish as you look for him. But did Mary at anytime go to God to ask Him for his protection or to help find him? If she did, it was not written but at the same time if she did she would have found comfort in knowing that God would protect him or even so God may have revealed to her that he was ok and where he needed to be. All of her worry and anguish would not have happened if she went to God first. I think that is why when she finally found him he said to her, "Why were you searching for me?" "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" But they did not understand what he was saying to them. She did not understand because she never took it to God first.

Application
I too have gone through what Mary went through with my only son. The many nights he would not come home as a teenager, I would stay up all night in worry, pacing the floors, crying because I felt something must have happened to him. If I had only taken it to God and put him in his hands I would not have all of these white hairs on my head today. Now that my son is 25 years old, I think I am much wiser now and I take everything to God in prayer. This morning my son calls me from the airport in Panama City Florida on his way to Qatar close to Saudi Arabia for a civilian job that will take him away for 1 year. This scripture reminds me that I need to seek God first in prayer before my human emotions of worry, fear and sadness take over. As I ended my conversation with him before he got on the plane, I told him that I loved him and I will be praying for him.

Prayer
Lord my prayer today is that I ask you for my son's protection as he travels to Qatar. Keep a hedge of protection on his mind that nothing fills his head with fear, on his body so he stays healthy and on his spirit that he continues to seek you everyday in all he does. Thank you Lord for being the Father of all his fathers to my son. And Lord thank you for also being my Father my God, Lord of all Lords and King of all Kings, in Jesus name Amen.

No comments: