Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

MEASURED FOR GLORY. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
The angel who talked to me held in his hand a gold measuring stick to measure the city, its gates, and its wall.
Revelation 21:15

Observation:
John and Ezekiel both had an encounter with an angel who measures. The meticulous task of measuring was very important in the ancient times for construction and assessment. Equal importance is attributed today. And in both, the OT and the NT, God is consistent in revealing His desire to measure. He commanded the standards and exact measurements of how to build a place of worship; and He did it in a way that people would be able to do it. So when God sends His angel to measure, He wants to make sure that everything is in place, in order, so His glory fits and brings blessing throughout.

Application:
God has set standards in how to build our lives. He sets the blueprints and trusts in our diligence to build our lives according to those plans. He wants the place for His dwelling to be spotless, fitting for His glory. For that reason, He will consistently inspect our progress with His measuring tape, and point out the areas where we come short, or where we set the wrong walls, or when our gates are not properly built. He wants to make sure that we are building lives where His glory will be well received and we will be measured for glory.

If that angel would come today to my life with his measuring tape, what would he find? Certainly, there are many areas in my heart where God’s glory doesn’t fit. My compulsions, my sinful habits, and generally my disobedience to the measurements provided by God have caused me to build too short, or to set up gates in vulnerable places where the enemy has easy access, or to raise walls that hinder the flaw of His power in my own life. The purpose of His measuring is not for condemnation, but for re-calibration. I still have a window of opportunity to make corrections and build a life according to the divine blueprint and its measurements.

Prayer:
Lord, Jesus. I cannot avoid to be ashamed for the condition of my life this morning. There are so many areas where your measurements could bring disappointing readings. Please forgive me! I have placed walls where should be gates, and I have placed gates where should be walls. Your glory doesn’t fit in some areas of my life. Please help me to correct what is wrong and give me the strength to faithfully build according to your template. Make my heart your home and let your glory dwell in all the areas of my life. Thank you for your mercy and for loving me as imperfect and unfaithful as I am. Amen!

No comments: