Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

OUT OF GUILT OR OUT OF LOVE. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
Then he turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Look at this woman kneeling here. When I entered your home, you didn’t offer me water to wash the dust from my feet, but she has washed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You didn’t greet me with a kiss, but from the time I first came in, she has not stopped kissing my feet. You neglected the courtesy of olive oil to anoint my head, but she has anointed my feet with rare perfume. “I tell you, her sins—and they are many—have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love.”
Luke 7:44-47

Observation:
Jesus makes an important contrast between an immoral woman and a “good old boy” named Simon. Simon neglected the most common practice of hospitality towards his guest, judged the woman’s lifestyle, and condemned Jesus for allowing her to touch him. Simon was so blinded by his own ego and by his self-righteousness. On the other hand, the woman comes humble, giving more that what is requested, pouring everything before the Lord. Jesus points out that her attitude is not motivated out of guilt, but out of love. Simon cannot see how wrong he is, but the woman knows how unworthy she is. We don’t know if Simon was an immoral man in his private life, but he certainly wasn’t perfect. He pointed fingers at others, but he neglected self-evaluation just as he neglected hospitality.

Application:
Our human nature pushes us to be a pharisee like Simon. We want to neglect our own condition and we want to hide behind the more visual sins of others. Also our human nature tries to deal with sin out of guilt, but not out of love. Jesus knows the heart of the woman and sets her as an example for his followers to apply in their own lives.

As I look at my condition, I cannot see a strong pharisee attitude, but I cannot see a strong humble heart either. I’m thankful for his forgiveness, but my attitude is not as bold as the woman’s. I know that I’ve been forgiven much, but my response to him is not as meaningful. It seems that I’ve been going through the motions, getting used to His grace an mercy, and taking for granted the huge forgiveness I receive form God. This may cause me to serve out of guilt, and not out of love. I don’t want to become a pharisee. I want to become a thankful servant that serves and gives away out of great love because of the much that I’ve been forgiven.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, please forgive me for neither a cold or a hot , but a warm response in my heart towards your grace and mercy. Please set my heart on fire. Let me remember always where I have come form. Let me keep in mind the many sins I’ve been forgiven. Help me to keep a pure heart as I serve you, not out of guilt, but out of love. Amen!

No comments: