Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, June 13, 2008

WASTED POTENTIAL. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
But when Rehoboam was firmly established and strong, he abandoned the law of the Lord, and all Israel followed him in his sin... Because Rehoboam humbled himself, the Lord’s anger was turned aside, and He did not destroyed him completely. And there was still goodness in the land of Judah...But he was an evil king, for he did not seek the Lord with all of his heart.
2 Chronicles 12:1,12,14

Observation:
The son of Solomon, raised in the most luxurious and pampered environment a human being has ever seen, led the people of Judah in a critical time of division and spiritual confusion. Because of God’s promise to David, he became strong and his reign was firmly established. As he became comfortable, he completely walked away from God. The King of Egypt invaded Judah, bringing shame to his kingdom. The prophet Shemaiah exhorted Rehoboam and the king humbled himself before God. He recognized his sin and made some important personal changes. However, he did not seek God with all of his heart. In times of trouble his heart was softened, but once things were better, very quickly he departed from seeking God’s face. He wasted his potential because only as we seek God wholeheartedly, our potentials are maximized.

Application:
One of the worse things to do is to waste our God-given potential. Only in God’s presence we can find our full potential unleashed. But if we don’t seek the Lord with all of our heart, we will always see our potential being wasted. Very often I find myself getting comfortable in God’s blessings and neglecting my intimacy with the Lord. I may not abandon the Lord, but very easily I can put my trust in my efforts and not in God’s grace and mercy. Also, when I realize that I did wrong, I can humble myself quickly. However, when the emotions of apology evaporate, humility also evaporates. Every time that this happens, more potential is wasted. And this lack of stewardship is a shame!

The book of Chronicles is giving people an important answer. We all have the potential to become more like Christ, but we waste it every time that we seek God with reservations or conditions. If our hearts is not fully engaged in seeking God’s face, sooner or later we will see dreams wasted, vision wasted, blessings wasted, and potential wasted. The solution is simple: Let’s seek God with all of our hearts!

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, please forgive me for the potential wasted every time I withhold my heart from seeking you. Sometimes I’m more concerned for worthless things and more passionate for selfish ambitions. Please change my heart and give me a strong appetite for your presence. Let me seek you like never before in my life. Help me to maximize the potential you have placed in my life. Let me seek your face when I’m in trouble and when I’m in comfort. Let me be more devoted to you and dependent on your grace and favor over my life. Let me be more like you. Amen!

No comments: