Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, June 12, 2008

WILLPOWER. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey Him and the power to do what pleases Him.
Philippians 2:13

Observation:
The Apostle Paul exhorts us to be careful to put into action God’s saving work in our lives, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. God’s saving work is what He does in our lives with every breath we take. He works overtime in our hearts, giving us the DESIRE to obey His Word, and the opportunities to ACT UPON it. We need both in order to have effective WILLPOWER. Obedience to God cannot stay in intentions. It must be conceived and lived out in our daily affairs. Our good intentions to obey must become real as we make daily decisions in the things we think, the things we say, and the things we do. This is the race we all run as we chose to follow Christ.

Application:
In this race, many people struggle in wanting to do the will of God. Their desire to obey God’s ways is in conflict with their desire to please themselves. Both desires cannot coexist together. One is destined to survive and the other will dissolve. We arrive to a great pit-stop when our desire is to do the will of God, no matter the cost. Now, when we arrive there, we have a greater challenge ahead of us - to act upon our good intentions. This is also very difficult. Willpower is the ability to turn good intentions into reality by combining our motivation do to God’s will with the discipline to execute. This is where the rubber meets the road.

The key part for me to understand here is that “this is the work of God.” My job is not to have the willpower to do it. I can try on my own, but that’s not the way... I need to depend on God to give me the desire and the power to do it. My job is to be intimate and close to my Heavenly father. From His presence flows the willpower we need to run the race in away that brings glory to God. Out of relationship with Jesus my motivation and discipline to live God’s way will be sincere and effective. I need to let God do His work. I cannot take over the shop that belongs to Him. I need to surrender, to submit to his presence, and to trust in His good work in my life. He began a good work in me, and He will be faithful to complete it.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for being so faithful to work in my heart and character. Please forgive me for being so stubborn and for taking your place as the One that can do the work. Instead of trying to take your place, let me trust you and bring me closer to you. I need to seek your face and as I draw closer, your glory will fill out my willpower tank. Let me be humble and meek to see your power working in my life. Amen!

No comments: