Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

MY PERSONAL CAMPFIRE. By Renee Takahashi

Scripture:
Never lag in zeal and in earnest endeavor, be aglow and burning with the Spirit, serving the Lord. Romans 12:11

Observation:
The character of a servant is one who is zealous and pure in motives. She is on fire for Jesus. In Revelations, although they were doing wonderful things, the charge against the church of Ephesus was that they lost their love they had at first for Jesus. How do we keep up our love, our zeal, our fire for Jesus? The thought that came to me as I started my devos is that I love campfires…the whole of it. All that goes into making it. Preparing the spot, gathering the wood, finding the light, singing around it, telling goofy stories, and just being embraced in the warmth and fun of the times. I love the energy that is sparked as we throw on new wood. I also love the times when the fire is low and quiet. I love the campfire itself, but I also love what happens because of it. We may have individual pathways to keep the fire burning, but for the most part it is by being renewed in Jesus daily through His word, by sitting at His feet, by spending time in prayer and listening to Him. It is by giving thanks in everything as much as it is to give thanks for everything. It is by having a huge heart of humility. It is by being obedient to Jesus and acting upon that obedience quickly. It is by doing all things to the glory of Jesus. It is also by walking alongside others and encouraging them to keep their fire burning.

Application:
How am I keeping the flame of the love for Jesus aglow? A lot of my fire is by being a witness to the wonderful things the Lord is doing so personally in people’s lives. I have been given the enormous privilege of spending time with others and sharing the beauty of what the Lord is doing in our lives. Not all things are easy, not all things make sense, but all things are good… because God is good. Finding out more of who Jesus is also keeps me on fire. Recognizing God’s intimate touch in my life as well as others keep me zealous and wanting for others to draw close to God. Having a sense of urgency, not passivity, procrastination or laziness keeps me throwing on the new wood. But there are also times of rest that I need, when the fire is low, to just sit and be. Those times are invaluable as well… the balance of it all keeps my personal campfire just right.

How will I be different today because of what I have just read?
Today, I am thankful for the campfire metaphor…. I will find a picture of a campfire and write this scripture and be visually reminded that I must keep burning for Jesus.

Prayer:

Thank you dear Lord for how very, very personal and intimate you are. That you know me so well… that you know my desires and you bring them to mind to give me strength of mind and will. You are such an awesome God. Thank you Jesus for revealing more of who you are and who I am in you that serves to keep my fire going. Thank you that you believe in me to listen to others and to encourage them in your truth and that keeps my fire burning, too. Father, help me to stay close to you that I may never leave my first love. That I may be zealous for you always, and that I may always glow as I serve you. I love you! In the mighty name of Jesus I pray… amen

No comments: