Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

PURE MOTIVES. By Pastor Fernando.

Scripture:
Those others do not have pure motives as they preach about Christ. They preach with selfish ambition, not sincerely...
Philippians 1:17

Observation:
The Apostle Paul here recognizes the possibility of preaching the truth of Christ with impure motives. He denounced preachers that used their platform to advance their own selfish ambitions and personal agendas. There was a lack of honesty in addressing issues and their pulpits became rocket launchers against Paul’s ministry. His attitude is to be thankful at the fact that the truth is preached somewhere, even if it’s at the cost of his reputation.

Application:
Preaching is a privilege that needs to be stewarded very well. I cannot use the platform of influence God has given me to advance my personal agenda, to manipulate people, or to attack others. Many preachers are known for what they are against. They like to attack and throw rocks because they want to feel good about themsleves. They want their followers to feel superior as if they know something that nobody else knows. They may speak the truth, but they use it to feel better about themselves and to feed their selfish ambitions. What a waste when leaders decide to preach this way!

On the other hand, I want to be known for what I’m for and because of the encouraging way I use the pulpit. There’s a place to confront and the people of God should be taught to discern good doctrine from error. But godly instruction can be done in the proper settings and with the right attitude. I need to check my heart very often when studying and when speaking to people. I need to be aware of my selfish motives that can come and find a nest in my heart at any time.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for giving me a heart passionate about the harvest, willing to redeem whatever is necessary o reach the lost, and passionate about bringing people closer to you with encouraging messages of hope. Please keep my heart pure form selfish motives. reveal to me when my mindset gets cluttered. Don’t let me use the pulpit to put others down. Let me expose the works of darkness in such a way that helps people focus in their own healing. I believe the truth can be preached and false doctrine can be exposed without personal attacks. Help me to be skillful in this as I grow as a preacher and a shepherd for your people. Amen!

No comments: