Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

AVOIDING FOOLISH TALK. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes - these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God.
Ephesians 5:4

Observation:
In Ephesians 5 Paul mentions a long lists of sinful habits that need to be avoided by the Children of God. Among those, foolish talking is mentioned in the same breath he lists sexual immorality, impurity and greed. What’s the big deal about this? Paul’s point here is to follow the example of God in everything we do and say. And even though God has a sense of humor, He never makes fun of people. There are many things that we can say about others and to others that seem fun and entertaining. But in certain occasions, those words can be very hurtful. We need to have a strong sense of discernment about the things we say and avoid foolish talk. Some people will be offended and our lives will not reflect the image of our Heavenly Father when we don’t avoid foolish talk.

Application:
Recently I received an email of a guy that traveled with me in a mission trip three years ago. His email saddened me because on it he was confronting me for some hurtful things I said three years ago. He has been hurt all this time and his confidence in the church and ministry is in the floor because of certain things I said. And even though I sincerely asked him for forgiveness years ago, he hasn’t been able to recuperate from it. I wasn’t trying to hurt him. I just wanted to have fun at his expense. Oh, how I wish that I was able to go back in time and avoid foolish talking.

I need to be careful in the way I speak. Better to risk to become a boring person rather than to risk someone’s friendship.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, please forgive me for my foolish talk. You know my heart and my desire to be a blessing, not a burden. Give me wisdom and self-control to speak only words that encourage others. Give me a sense of humor that doesn’t put others down. Please heal my brother that continues bleeding for what happened years ago. Let your grace and mercy reach Him. Thank you for your blood, that covers my sin and brings healing to those I offended in the past. Amen!

No comments: