Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

THE UNDESIRABLE CROSSROAD. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.
Titus 3:1-2

OBSERVATION
Paul's words of instruction are very clear. Even though Titus was a high ranked leader in the church, he was instructed to remind the people that God had appointed leaders above them. Regardless of their performance, such authority must be respected by displaying godly character, by being ready to do whatever is good. This is not a command to become gullible and easily manipulated by ungodly rulers. This is clearly a command to confront with respect, to respond with wisdom, not to react with emotion, to stay away from personal attacks and to focus on the issues.

APPLICATION
Very often we forget that our spiritual leaders are human beings, vulnerable to mistakes and to the distractions that this world offers. When they under perform according to our expectations, we are quick to criticize without the character Paul reminds us all of us to display. We dismiss relationship for task and we neglect love for the sake of justice. We forget that Jesus sets an example of balancing both, grace and truth. So when our chance comes to make a difference, we have a choice - to tilt the balance on the side of dishonor or on the side of what is good. Do we let our emotions rule, or we let the fruit of the Spirit to become evident?

Recently I've been experiencing this common and undesirable crossroad where a few of my leaders have made poor choices. Standing here is interesting what I can see. I can see the loyalists trying to excuse their behavior and even determined to protect and perpetuate those who were negligent. I can see the angry mob arming themselves with pitchforks to fight against them. I can see the opportunists, masters in manipulating the naive, positioning themselves sometimes from the shadows, sometimes out in the light. The funny thing is that they all think they are doing what is right. I wish I can see in the midst all of this mess more people like Jesus - those who respectfully can speak the truth in love without slandering, those who can spearhead and bring change with sacrifice, not with manipulation, and those who are practitioners of true humility. Where are they? I hope I can find them around me, but most important of all, I hope I can find one of those inside of me.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly father, thank you so much for the honor and privilege you give me to lead your people and to be led by others. As you give me the opportunity to lead, please let me reminded at all times of the right character we must have when dealing with the mistakes of those in authority over us. Let me display a true humility very similar than Jesus'. Let me speak the truth in love at all times by keeping the perfect balance between grace and truth. Give me favor during this new season in my life as I become more involved in serving your people and your kingdom. Build your character in mine. Let me be more like you. Amen!

No comments: