Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, December 18, 2009

ABOUT SUFFERING. By Kamu Sing

Scripture
1 Peter 5:8b - Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

Observation
As followers, believers, disciples of Jesus, we are destined to suffer. It is inevitable that we will be persecuted by those who do not share the same belief and faith. We will be pointed at for the small things because we don’t resemble what the world looks like in the big things.
Paul writes about suffering on how we are to conduct ourselves when it comes. He doesn’t say if...it’s when. As a Christian, we are to consider ourselves blessed if we face trials of suffering because we identify with Christ.
What stood out to me is one advice that Paul gives when suffering, is to remember those who are sharing the same trials that we are all around the world. In my own experience, when I suffer, I have a huge tendency to be very inward focused. A lot of my thoughts, feelings, sometimes even actions are geared toward what is happening to me. As Paul shares this word of advice to look out, I can really see the value of focusing on how others are suffering too. This way, it helps to keep our flesh, our selfish nature, the evil in us away from the unhealthiness of thinking that life should be easy and fair and comfortable.

Application
For me personally, I feel like I’ve come to a point where suffering isn’t a surprise in life. It is a clear indicator that I must be doing something that the enemy doesn’t like. I must be in some way on the right tract. Now, I don’t want to imply that every moment of suffering means that we’re doing good or right. Sometimes God allows suffering in my life to correct too. But suffering isn’t all the time, everyday of the week. As we begin to hear God clearly and act in obedience, suffering isn’t so much a bad thing than a type of discipline that God gives to us. It’s kind of like a baby learning through trials and circumstances. When a child is doing something they shouldn’t, like trying to stick a metal object into an electrical outlet, the parent will discipline pretty severely so that the child will understand that this is not to happen ever again. The child suffers for a period of time and then learns the lesson. If that child doesn’t learn the lesson and continues in the same action, either the parent will increase in discipline or the unfortunate circumstance will take it’s place. Likewise for us as children of God. He will allow suffering to happen to sometimes teach us certain lessons.
Many of us as believers will focus on the suffering and lose sight of the lesson. As we take the first step to refrain from being inward focused, I know that there is so much to learn that God wants to show in that suffering.

Prayer
Lord, I am truly grateful for your continued Truth that allows me to remember and respond correctly. As much as I might not want to remember this lesson, it is very important to meditate on this and live it out when suffering happens...not if, but when. Thank you for guiding me where I am in my life. I look forward to more of this adventure that You’ve already set before me. I love you. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: