Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

LOVING MY NEIGHBOR. By Kim Matsukawa

SCRIPTURE:
If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well; but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. James 2:8-9

OBSERVATION:
James gives instructions on how not to commit sin by the law of “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Reminding us that we need to treat everyone equal, whether they are rich or poor, have a mansion or live in a box. What a humbling thought, reminding us that as Jesus put it in Matthew 25, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ (Matthew 25:40)

APPLICATION:
I am totally guilty of giving preferential treatment to certain people. I would like to think that I have a purer heart, one that accepts everyone just the way they are, however, know that is not true. Reading this scripture with Matthew 25:40 as well as “you’re your neighbor”, reminds me that when I treat, or don’t even acknowledge those that I am not comfortable with; they too are God’s creature and I need to treat them as such.

PRAYER:
Heavenly Father, forgive me for my selfishness of not sharing with those less fortunate as much as I probably could. Your humbling scripture reminds me that I need to love everyone equally and without thinking of what could I get out of it. I ask You for a heart of unabounding love for others who hardly get a chance to receive it. Help me to know what to do when approached and when I need to approach someone else. Amen…

No comments: