Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, December 11, 2009

MOMENTS LOST. By Pastor Jan Tomai

SCRIPTURE
“And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness.” 2 Timothy 2:24-25

OBSERVATION
Quarreling does not seem to solve anything. Just as Timothy shares, it renders one close to being foolish. The worst part of quarreling is how it leads to deception. The harder we fight for something, the more we think we are walking in doing what is right. Manytimes, the issue is of no consequence when compared to people hungry, hurt, and lost without Jesus.

APPLICATION
Occasionally, I find myself drawn into something that really is of no importance but here I am arguing. The arguing comes not so much from a heart-felt stance as from a need to defend myself against some invisible unknown enemy from my childhood! My natural tendency is to avoid quarreling at all costs. I grew up as a youngster with nothing but contention in my family and home. My family took pride in quarreling loudly and perversely. I ran from it then and run from it now. I am immediately hit by the futility of the situation. However, it is very important that I learn to step-back, stop feeling attacked and being defensive. Only then, will I stop running and use those words of gentleness you put in my heart.

PRAYER
Lord, speak to my heart when I feel contention in the air. Give your voice to my words that there is true humility in kindness and gentleness. Restore to me those moments lost due to my shortcomings. Thank you for bringing me out of darkness into your light.

No comments: