Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Monday, December 7, 2009

DRESS CODE. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
12 Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Colossians 3:12-14

OBSERVATION
As Paul declares the kind of fruit that results from a genuine faith, he uses the illustration of clothing. We put on, we wear certain things that affect the way people perceive us, but most important, reflect who we really are. Paul mentions some virtues that are consistent to other biblical passages. He talks about compassion, kindness, humility, etc. He encourage us to deal properly when others offend us. But above all things, Paul points out love as the virtue that binds all things together. Loving people in Paul's eyes is the fulfillment of all the commandments.

APPLICATION
When reading this passage I cannot avoid to see a template for my personal growth in he next season of my life. Growing in love for others is God's plan for me. The clothes I wear every single day, meaning the attitude I chose to put on in my daily affairs, are the key to be more fruitful in this area. There is nothing more uncomfortable that being wrongfully dressed for an occasion. I remember when we went to Argentina few years ago, the temperature was in the low 50's, and a bunch of Hawaiians were wearing t-shirts and slippers. I remember also attending a dinner, not following the dress code, feeling awkward, and even disrespectful towards the hosts. Certainly, in our walk with Christ and as we relate to others, we need to be extremely aware of the dress code. I cannot keep wearing the wrong attitude. I must learn from Jesus and how He dresses. He puts on the right garments, He makes others feel loved, and He truly displays the fruit of the Spirit in all His interactions.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, I want to learn how to dress properly so I can be a reflection of who you are to those around me. I want to get rid of the wrong and inappropriate garments. I want to wear your compassion, your holiness, your humility, and your honesty. Let me be a man that put on your Son Jesus every day. Let me walk with Christ and as Christ in this world. Please make 2010 a year to grow in love for you and for the people you place around me. In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments: