Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Saturday, June 13, 2009

A PROPHET WITH NO NAME. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
"It is the man of God who disobeyed the Lord's command."
1 Kings 13:26

OBSERVATION
We don't know his name. The Scripture chooses not to name him. All we know is that he was a man of God, a prophet. He started well, being bold delivering a tough and risky message to King Jeroboam, and trusting God to back him up with great signs and wonders. God told him not to eat or drink anything until he returned to Judah. So on his way home, he encountered an older prophet. We don't know why, but this older prophet deceives the man of God, plays the "God Card" and tells him that upon the command of an angel, he should come to his house and eat and drink. The man of God does not stop to check this "prophecy," follows the older prophet, eats and drinks, and ends up disobeying God's direct command to him. He became known in the scripture as "the man of God who disobeyed the Lord's command." And to make things worse, after realizing of his mistake, he did not seek the Lord for mercy. He simply continued his journey as if anything serious happened. Sadly, he died that very same day.

APPLICATION
Today our church celebrates their 5th birthday. 5 years ago, following God's direct instruction, we started a church not knowing the amazing rewards and blessings that we would experience. Interesting that during these 5 years, some people have come playing the "God Card" also, telling me that we should go in a certain direction. And very often, their instruction was different that the one God first provided. How do you know when people are giving their own opinion and try to manipulate by using God's name?

I think the key is in another verse. 2 Chronicles 12:14 says that Rehoboam was an evil king because, "he did not seek the Lord with all his heart." You can be called, anointed, and appointed. But if you don't seek the Lord with all your heart, sooner or later, you will loose direction, focus, and you end up becoming a man of God who disobeyed the Lord. That is not God's plan. That is our enemy's plan. I will do everything possible to stay obedient before the Lord. I may not be perfect. But I will certainly come before the Lord as soon as I realize that I took steps away from his will. But also, I will not let anyone misguide me from my assignment, specially if they try to manipulate me with their visions, prophecies, and revelations. I will not become a man of God who disobeyed the Lord.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, please forgive me for the many times I have step out from the path you have traced for me. I recognize that in the past I took short cuts and detours. I come to you depending on your mercy and grace, not in my good efforts or works. Please set my feet in the path you designed for me and help me to stay focused on it. Give me discernment to reject the so called "revelations" of those who try to manipulate me using your name. They may not be bad people, but they have the potential to distract me and cause me to walk away from my call. Let me depend on you, and in you alone. Let the next 5 years in our ministry be even more fruitful simply because we follow your plan. Let me continue leading with a greater humility, transparency, and godliness. You are all we need!

No comments: