Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

AGAINST THE CURRENT. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
So be careful how you live. Don't live like fools, but like those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. Don't act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do.
Ephesians 5:17

OBSERVATION
Paul calls our season on this planet "evil days." He realized that by default, our nature will embrace the purposes of these evil days unless we pay attention to the way we live. It's like going up the river, against the current. It's not necessarily impossible, but it requires dedication, diligence, and discipline in order to make it. Paul wants to communicate that we need to know what we are doing. We cannot depend on good intentions and emotions to walk against the current. This is thoughtless. We need to understand what God wants us to do and do it! Just do it!

APPLICATION
If I'm not careful to plan my steps and to make unwavering decisions to accomplish them, I will become thoughtless in my efforts and I will be overwhelmed by the currents of this world. These evil days, with all its allures, are no small force to ignore. I usually become motivated to walk against the current when my emotions are aroused, but there is little thought and consideration to my steps. So even though I try to walk against the current, because of lack of planing, I take the wrong steps, anchoring my feet in a vulnerable place. Sooner or later, I end up being overpowered by the wash waters, dragged down the river, humbled once again, losing to start the journey again. This simply happens because I don't plan my steps carefully. And when I do, I fail to turn my plan into action. It's an action plan, not a good intentions plan.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, once again I found myself pushed back by the current, loosing ground in my journey, very frustrated at this situation. I know that I am the one to blame. You are faithful to me when I'm simply thoughtless about where I put my feet. Please forgive me for not planing well, and for not following through with the plans I come up with. Please help me to make the best out of these evil days. Help me to walk against the current and fill me with your Spirit to plan well and execute diligently the plans you have for me. Amen.

No comments: