Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, April 2, 2009

WEAKNESS UNCHECKED. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
1 Samson went down to Timnah and saw there a young Philistine woman. 2 When he returned, he said to his father and mother, "I have seen a Philistine woman in Timnah; now get her for me as my wife." 3 His father and mother replied, "Isn't there an acceptable woman among your relatives or among all our people? Must you go to the uncircumcised Philistines to get a wife?" But Samson said to his father, "Get her for me. She's the right one for me." 4 (His parents did not know that this was from the LORD, who was seeking an occasion to confront the Philistines; for at that time they were ruling over Israel.)
Judges 14:1-4

OBSERVATION
Samson's story has all the elements of a modern drama-action film. The supernatural announcement of his birth sets the stage for high expectations about a leader with amazing potential to serve God and His people. We don't know how much of that potential was wasted, but what we know is that God used all Samson's failures to fulfill His plan with Israel. God allowed the strongest man in the world to be weakened by lustful desires. When he saw a woman he liked, he wanted her, and he got her. But the Scripture tells us this weakness was from the Lord. I don't think that God made Samson as an incurable lustful man, but He knew his weak points and used them to bring forth His plan. Samson's unchecked weakness took him to a path of moral failures. But God had a plan to restore him.

APPLICATION
God is in control of everything. Our failures do not compromise God's plan for our lives. However, we don't have to leave our weaknesses unchecked for God to do great things in us. Just imagine what God could have done through Samson if he had learned self-control! This is very important for me to understand during this season of fasting. I can see how the enemy tries to use my past failures and my weak points to distract me, to put me over the edge, and to pressure me with temptations that may seem irresistible at times. My potential can be wasted if I don't become aware of my weakness and do something meaningful and practical abut keeping them checked.

During this fast God has called me to restore my regimen of training for the sake of godliness, including accountability and regular checks on my weak points. I don't know why, but sometimes I feel invincible, like Samson, able to do many great things for God, and at the same time, neglecting important habits that will keep my weaknesses checked. During this season I must get rid of any blockage, any spiritual subluxation, any carnal desire that takes away from the potential God has placed in my life. I cannot take God's grace for granted.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, I come before you willing to remove anything that is interrupting the flow of your grace and mercy. I don't want to repeat Samson's story in my own life and ministry. I don't want to compromise in small ways that overtime become huge roadblocks from your anointing power. Let me keep all my weak points checked before You and before men. Let me keep a sincere and swift accountability of my weakness. Even though I know You can use my failures and restore me when I fall, I don't want to have to go through what Samson went through in order to learn his lessons. Help me to stay focused on You! Amen!

No comments: